Over the coming months the Sussex IFCA will be developing resources which describe in more detail the Sussex Marine Protected Area Network. In the meantime our partners at The UK Marine Protected Areas Centre provide a resource for information and news on Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) in the UK. This site can be accesssed here: http://www.ukmpas.org
Through this external site you can:
- Get the latest MPA news (including events, legislation and new research)
- Read and upload examples of best practice and case studies
- Use the fora to discuss topics and issues with other practitioners
- Search the extensive reference library catalogue relating to MPA research and recent reports
- Find useful presentations and images to download
- Use the interactive map to guide you to site based information on MPAs, including their designations, habitats, species and activities.
- Link to existing websites of individual European Marine Sites, other MPAs.
Marine Conservation Zones
Balanced Seas is a project working in partnership with all those with an interest in the marine environment to identify and recommend Marine Conservation Zones for the inshore and off-shore waters of south-east England.
Marine Conservation Zones will be set up under the Marine and Coastal Access Act of 2009 and are a new type of Marine Protected Area.
Marine Conservation Zones will protect nationally important marine wildlife, habitats, geology and geomorphology. Stakeholders themselves will recommend these sites to Government and they will be designated at the end of 2012.
The challenge is to balance the importance of biodiversity conservation with economic activity. Working with all those with an interest in the project area is essential for success.
To find out more about the Balanced Seas progress visit their website http://www.balancedseas.org/