1. This byelaw applies to any part of the district within a line drawn on the seaward side of the baselines 6 nautical miles from the baselines from which the breadth of the territorial sea adjacent to the United Kingdom is measured. For the purposes of this paragraph "the baselines" means the baselines as they existed at 25th January 1983 in accordance with the Territorial Waters Order in Council 1964 (1965 111 p. 6452A) as amended by the Territorial Waters (Amendment) Order in Council 1979 (1979 11p. 2866).
2. No vessel which exceeds 14 metres overall length shall be used in fishing for seafish, unless:
(i) in that part of the district which lies between 3 miles from baselines it fished there prior to the byelaw coming into force and remains in the same ownership as on 14th January 1991, or it is a vessel of the same or lesser overall length and horsepower replacing such a vessel;
(ii) in that part of the district which lies between 3 and 6 miles from baselines:
(a) it was used for fishing there before this byelaw came into force, or it is a vessel of the same or lesser overall length and horsepower replacing such a vessel; and
(b) it is authorised in writing, signed by the clerk, to fish within the district; and
(c) the vessel remains in the same ownership as at the date of this byelaw coming into force.
3. Any person who wishes to be registered as a user of a vessel as in 2 (ii)(a) above shall, within 60 days of the press advertisement of this byelaw, inform the Clerk to the Committee of his wish in writing.
4. The overall length of a vessel shall be defined as the distance in a straight line between the foremost point of the bow and the aftermost part of the stern. The bow is to be taken to include the watertight hull structure, forecastle, stem and forward bulkhead if fitted all permanent fixtures thereto, but to exclude bowsprits and safety rails. The stern is to be taken to include the watertight hull structure, transom, poop, trawl ramp and bulwark, all permanent fixtures thereto but to exclude safety rails, bumkins, propulsion machinery, rudders and steering gear, and divers ladders and platforms.
5. Definitions. For the purpose of this byelaw - "ownership" shall be determined by reference to the vessel's Certificate of Registry of a British Fishing Vessel and held on the Department of Transport's registry at the Registrar General of Shipping and Seamen at Cardiff.